About Avera Health Plans
Find an Agent
Get answers to your questions and the personalized service you need to feel confident about your health insurance decisions when you work with a licensed agent.
Find an agent near you
Avera Health Plans, founded in 1999, is dedicated to helping the people and communities we serve by providing cost-effective, innovative health plans. Today, we're honored to serve 88,000+ members. We provide coverage for a variety of customers, including:
- Individuals and families who don't have access to employer insurance or need a Medicare Supplement policy
- Employers who want to provide quality health care and affordable plan benefits and premiums to employees
Serving our Mission
As a part of our dedication to provide care and services to everyone who needs it, Avera Health Plans has participated in healthcare.gov since it began in 2013, after passage of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) in 2010.
Through the ACA and healthcare.gov, individuals and families living in South Dakota can take advantage of unique benefits, such as:
- Enrollment opportunities for everyone - If you don't have insurance through an employer, you can enroll on healthcare.gov during a set timeframe.
- Guaranteed coverage - You can no longer be denied coverage due to your health status, pre-existing illness or charged higher rates due to age or chronic conditions.
- Reduced cost - If you meet certain income requirements, you may qualify for lower monthly premiums and out-of-pocket expenses.
Avera Health Plans Board of Directors
Our Avera Health Plans Board of Directors meets quarterly. We're honored by and thankful for the following individuals who support our mission to provide affordable health care to those living in our communities.
- Michael Bender
- Gary Gaspar
- Clark Sinclair
- Clark Likness, MD
- Andrew Ellsworth, MD
- Bob Sutton
- Julie Lautt
- Doug Ekeren
- Debra Muller