Healthy Aging with Grace and Intelligence
We all know getting older is inevitable. Oftentimes, when we get older, things slow down or conditions develop more rapidly.
Did you know studies have shown that cognitive skills start to decline as early as 20 or 30? There are many steps we can take, no matter what stage of life we are in, to age gracefully, and stay young as long as we can. The earlier we can begin to take care of ourselves, the more protection we will have against chronic diseases later in life.
Here are a few tips to age gracefully, so our mind and body stay in tip-top shape:
- Stay sharp mentally: Try activities that will challenge your mind and cognition to keep your wit. Do puzzles, learn a dance, listen to music or meditate.
- Eat a healthy, well-rounded diet: Include more berries and leafy greens, healthy fats and antioxidants. Always consult your provider/dietitian when making changes.
- Stay hydrated: Age can make our thirst decrease. Aim for six to eight 8-ounce glasses of water daily.
- Get seven to nine hours of sleep.
- Schedule annual wellness visits with your physician or provider.
Remember, healthy habits take time to develop, and by starting as early as we can, they will improve your chances of not developing certain chronic diseases.
Learn more about health and wellness
By Evan Moore, LiveNOW Well-Being Specialist