Medicare Supplement Insurance
AveraNOW: If you have a simple illness, log in to AveraNOW so you don't have to visit a clinic. To encourage use of virtual visits, Avera Health Plans is waiving co-pays for all member plans through June 14 when you select the Urgent Care visit.
This will help slow the spread of COVID-19.
If you have symptoms of COVID-19, call your clinic or 1-877-AT-AVERA. Go to Avera's resource page to learn more about our response to COVID-19.
Welcome to Avera Health Plans!
If you have a Medicare Supplement Insurance plan through Avera Health Plans, you're in the right place. Your Medicare Supplement plan will help you close the gap in your coverage for the expenses that Medicare approves, but does not pay in full.
Benefits of Medicare Supplement Insurance with Avera Health Plans
In addition to supplementing the costs of your Medicare benefits, our Medicare Supplement plans offer:
- Ability to receive care from community network hospitals that you know and trust, such as Avera, Rapid City Regional Health, Mercy Medical Center, Brookings Health System and more.
- Access to after-hours care and emergency care, including the 24/7 Nurse Line
- Flexibility of coverage when you travel outside of our service area with our travel benefit
- Freedom to choose your own physician
- Local South Dakota and northwest Iowa agents who'll meet with you at your convenience to discuss Medicare Supplement plans including transitioning from a plan or renewing a plan
- Local customer service
Getting Started with Your Medicare Supplement Plan
The first step is to learn more about your health plan, including when to expect your member ID cards.
To discover what your insurance covers log in to our secure member portal. If you're a new user, register for your account. You'll need your member ID card to log in and create a username and password.
Once you're logged in, you'll be able to view information specific to your plan, including:
- Outline of Coverage (OOC) - Explains your Medicare benefits, cost sharing information, travel benefits, network hospital restrictions and more
- Explanation of Benefits (EOB) - Provides information about your claims and how they were processed and paid
Our website also provides you with easy access to:
For guidance and answers to your health insurance questions, talk with one of our experts by calling 1-888-322-2115, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT) or email us.
Choose Your Provider with a Medicare Supplement Plan
With an Avera Health Plans Medicare Supplement policy, you have the freedom to choose your doctor - and there's no need for a referral - for basic care.
To receive full plan benefits when you need hospital or outpatient surgery services, make sure your provider has admitting privileges at an in-network hospital. If not, ask for a referral to a provider who does.
In-Network Hospitals for Medicare Supplement Select Plans
With a Medicare Supplement Select plan, you can still see any doctor for primary care services, but you must use in-network hospitals for outpatient surgery or hospital-based care, including any laboratory, imaging or office visits that process billing through the hospital. View our Network Hospital Directory for Select plans.
Your Provider Network
As an Avera Health Plans member, you have access to our wide network of providers and services including Avera@Home for any of your home health, home medical equipment and hospice needs.
Our provider network includes Avera Health - with locations across South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa - and community network hospitals such as Rapid City Regional Health, Mercy Medical Center, Brookings Health System and more. Choose from over 92 hospitals and 4,300 physicians and licensed practitioners.
Update Your Health Coverage
Need to update information related to your Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan? You can download, fill out and submit forms to: