Your Options for After-Hours, Urgent & Emergency Care
There's a big difference between the cost of an emergency room visit, an urgent care visit and a free phone call. Our members have access to a variety of care options. Here are some tips to help you make the best decision for your family's health while saving money.
Virtual Visits (Free)
Use our 24/7 provider virtual visits to get fast and convenient treatment for minor situations such as urinary tract infections, flu, diarrhea, allergies, rashes, pink eye and others similar conditions.
- Available for free or $64 for those on a HDHP
- Can be used anywhere in the US
- Patients must be at least 2 years old
It Can Wait
Primary Doctor ($)
Your primary care doctor knows you best, and clinics are equipped to handle all minor and serious issues. They handle care during regular business hours for sickness, injury and preventive services. Make sure they’re in-network, or you’ll pay more!
I Need Care Now
Urgent Care ($$)
If it’s after normal clinic hours and it can’t wait until morning, urgent care may be a good option. Urgent care is not open 24 hours.
Common Current Care Conditions
- Acid reflux
- Cold or flu
- Cold sores
- Insect or animal bites
- Minor burns, cuts or rashes
- Pink eye
- Seasonal allergies
- Sinus infection
- Sprains and strains
- Urinary tract infections
Not Available at Urgent Care
- Care for stroke, heart attack or major trauma – and anything listed under ER below
- Physicals and checkups
- CT scans and MRIs
- Routine immunizations
- Prescription refills
Emergency Care ($$$)
This is the most expensive option. If a life, limb or organ is at risk, always go to the ER.
When to Go to the ER
- Chest pains, difficulty breathing or heart attack
- Slurred speech or weakness/numbness on one side
- Eye and head injuries, including potential concussions
- Major trauma
- Fever with a rash
- Severe cuts or broken bones
- Serious burns
- Fevers over 103 degrees in babies 3 months and older
Details about your out-of-pocket costs for an ER visit are outlined on page 3 in your Summary of Benefits and Coverage, located in the member portal.